Saturday, February 13, 2010

Trip Report - 2nd to 6th Feb 2010 Similan Islands

DiveRACE first Trip Report from our Customer - Ms Chen Shuang Hui =)


Hello Everyone!

There were many firsts on this trip to Phuket. I took my first solo flight, had my first taste of liveaboard diving (and still savouring it), saw my first manta ray, and finally... got to dive for the very first time with Lionel, a friend I’ve known for almost 4 years. (Gasp! We took this long to make it happen?!) Much awaited really, and with the marvellous experience I’ve had, I know the second time will not be far from now. ;)

2nd Feb 2010

A 1.5 hour ride in the minivan brought us from Phuket to the Thap Lamu Pier, where MV DiveRACE was docked at. I stepped out of the minivan and took a good look at the crew and my 14 fellow divers. It was 8.15 p.m. on 2 Feb. Slightly groggy due to my ungodly 4.30 a.m. wakeup time that day, I glanced at the boat (while the crew was busy unloading our bags) and did not quite know what to expect. “Am I going to have a decent bed to sleep in tonight?” was a thought lingering around in my head. Fortunately, it turned out that my Standard Cabin was rather small but comfortable enough for 4 restful nights. The boat began to set sail and the start of our diving adventure was ceremoniously marked by the setting off of firecrackers at the bow. As they fizzed and crackled away, we were all hopeful that this ritual would indeed bring to us a smooth-sailing time at sea and much luck on our dives!

















3 Feb 2010

Waking up to the morning call (the crew sounded the honk every morning), everyone gathered at the dining area for some light bites before Marco gave us the very first dive briefing. I was all excited and raring to gear up and jump into the waters. I can now momentarily forget the agony of getting into my new wetsuit (14x) since the pain is over.

We were split into 3 groups – led by dive guides Marco, Brian and Tristan. There were an Italian couple (Vincenzo and Beatrice) and a British couple (Dan and Sophie) in my dive group. Lionel was of course in the same group as well – he had to fulfil the added responsibility of a friend on this trip. Haha. (Honestly speaking, I’m thankful that you looked out for me, my friend!)

Gearing up was an easy affair on the spacious dive deck; the crew was around to help with getting our BCDs on and even went an extra mile to help us put on our fins, each and every dive. How’s that for quality service? ;)

We did our checkout dive at Anita’s Reef, located at Island #5 of the Similan Islands. It was awesome to get my nitrogen fix once again. The marine galore (lionfish, longnose hawkfish, juvenile ribbon eels, spearing mantis shrimp, Kuhl’s stingray etc) coupled with the excellent visibility made for a promising start. Indeed the subsequent 3 dives for the rest of the day did not disappoint with the delightful sightings of the pink giant frogfish, octopus, hawksbill turtle and leopard shark. With the glorious February weather, warm companionship, and 5 scrumptious meals a day, I was truly enjoying the eat-sleep-dive routine - Just my kind of perfect holiday. J

4 Feb 2010 

Finally I’ve begun on my second dive logbook! I got the DiveRACE logbook which has a sleek handy size and cleverly planned page layout. And it was just so apt that my first sighting of a manta ray was recorded into this logbook. J

The elusive manta rays were sighted at Koh Bon on dive #7. My dive group was waiting patiently for the looming shadows to emerge. I was getting more anxious as we passed by another dive group which had spotted 2 manta rays and we had not seen any then! “Hurry, appear, damn it!” I rubbed my hands in anticipation and as if doing so was like magic working its charm, a manta ray soon appeared! It cruised through the waters gracefully flapping its wings. Ah... Those were some absolutely enthralling moments! And boy was I glad to have captured them in a video footage. (You can view the video on the DiveRACE Facebook page!)



After the dive, everyone eagerly shared with one another their manta ray stories. “We saw 3... 1 was quite a distance away but 2 came close by...” No, unfortunately that wasn’t the story I told. My dive group only saw 1!! I was a little sore about it but oh well; I guess I can’t be too greedy. At least we managed to see 1 up close right? ;)

Another highlight on 4 Feb was going to the Donald Duck Bay at Similan Island #8. Climbing up to the viewpoint of Sail Rock, what was presented before us was a picturesque image of inviting turquoise waters and white powdery sands just beneath our toes. With such a gorgeous backdrop, photo-taking opportunities were aplenty. I was glad to have taken one with Leo, a fellow Singaporean on this trip. J



5 Feb 2010

One of the best days of the trip! We did our first dive of the day at Koh Tachai and it was an extremely enjoyable one for me. Superb visibility, barely any currents and pleasant finds (leopard shark, twin-spotted dwarf lionfish, cleaner shrimp etc) every now and then; I was happy as a lark. Indulging in a yummy breakfast of cheese toasts, baked potatoes, bacon, ham, salad and omelettes, I logged dive #9 of the trip and at the same time, wondered if the remaining 5 dives were going to be just as awesome. 

The next 3 dives of the day were done at Richelieu Rock. Why 3 dives at the same site you may ask. It may just be one horseshoe-shaped rock but it boasts such great biodiversity and splendid colours, one is able to be rewarded with different spectacular finds on every single dive. We were overwhelmed by the alluring colours and the buzzing marine life; every minute was richly occupied. Harlequin shrimps, white-eyed moray eels, scorpion fish, cuttlefish, ornate ghost pipefish, chevron barracudas, trumpet fish amidst beautiful purple reefs, phew... the list goes on and on. You really have to be there to fully appreciate the kind of visual feast I was enjoying! 

A smashing way to conclude the day, we had a most tantalizing BBQ dinner painstakingly prepared by the crew. I remember walking past the kitchen several times earlier on that day and seeing them busy with different tasks, from washing the prawns, marinating the meats to skewering them together. I’m pretty much a carnivore so you can imagine how contented I was to be indulging in the delightful spread! Oh yes, thanks Leo for generously sharing his red wine as well! That absolutely complemented the dinner to the highest level. After having spent about 2 days together, the chattering and laughter on the boat were clearly more spontaneous than before.



















6 Feb 2010 

The last day of the trip and we did our last 2 dives at the Boon Sung Wreck. Brian said it was quieter than usual. A little disappointing but I guess we need some lows to appreciate the highs. J We saw many lionfish, honeycomb moray eels and small schools of barracudas. On the whole, it was still a pleasant last dive on the MV DiveRACE.

After we were done with packing and washing up, everyone gathered at the dining area for the final time. Thank you to the Thai crew for ensuring that our stomachs never grumbled for a moment with 5 satisfying meals a day! Thank you for making gearing up a less arduous affair! Lastly, thank you to the dive guides for finding the inconspicuous little gems for us! J I must say that I don’t have an eye for detail so I really, really appreciate that. Haha.

Upon reaching the Thap Lamu Pier, we had 2 group photos taken together. With those, I brought away some of the best diving memories I’ve ever had. They will last me for a long time to come, but it won’t be long before you see me on MV DiveRACE again. J  





















By:

Chen Shuang Hui
Customer on MV DiveRACE



For all other photos of the trip, pls view them at our DiveRACE website Gallery. Special Thanks to Ms Shuang Hui! =)

Upcoming Trips! Check them out at our Trip Booking System!

Last but not least, Wishing Everyone a Happy Lunar New Year! HUAT AH!


Lionel





1 comment:

  1. Whale sharks and Manta rays are often found here during their seasons. Facilities incloud a freshwater source, campsites, a restaurant and small boats for snorkeling.

learn more about our diving center

    ReplyDelete